Nov 26, 2005 1:24pm
DEADHEADS, join me in PROTEST & BOYCOTT.
First please note:
To Archive.org and all its members: I would like to thank the wonderful people at the IA for making so much music available for free and to the public. I realize that this incident is far out of your hands. Thank you for your work, it lives on.
SIX REASONS OF PROTEST:
The Grateful Dead Productions are way out of line. They have broken many promises.
1. Audience recordings do not belong to them. Many hardcore deadheads spent hours recording/editing/transferring these recordings. Now we can only listen in MP3 format with access to the internet.
2. 2986 shows were removed from the IA without any statement or announcement from the GDP. Still, we have not been offered an alternative.
3. Legions of deadheads have given the GDP millions of dollars in ticket sales, live and studio releases, and other merchandise, and dare is say, POTENTIAL. We deserve to relive our memories.
4. Jerry Garcia said several times “When we are done playing it, we are done with it. They can have it.” He fully supported recordings being openly distributed.
5. On a poll of 6031 music fans, 75.9% always support artists that allow online distribution, 15.1% sometimes, and only 9.0% rarely support the artists. (Bluegrassbox.com).
6. Before this action, I was about to purchase all 54 of the Dick’s Picks. Now I am not going to buy anything from the GDP or the GDstore.
WHAT YOU CAN DO:
- Boycott the GDP and the GDstore. Don’t buy from them. If you really need something, buy from eBay.com or Amazon.com.
- Sign this petition with your protest. http://tinyurl.com/cm25s
- E-mail the GDP with your protest. firstname.lastname@example.org
ALTERNATIVE DOWNLOAD SOURCES:
Get your digital Grateful Dead from here:
GD, and side-project SHNs.
- tela.sugarmegs.org - / GD and tons of other groovy stuff.
Dead (post Jerry), and side projects.
JG+DG and Old & in the Way, + others.
Very fast P2P program for hundreds of artists. You can also get GD videos here, also side projects.
Don’t like what the GDP did? Protest, tell them, call them, e-mail them, and boycott them. The Internet Archive and its staff are not responsible for this, so don’t be angry with them.
Please post your thoughts. And any sources and links.
Good Luck Deadheads!